How to block a number on any Android phone to stop receiving unwanted calls – Business Insider – Business Insider
- You can block a number on an Android phone with just a few taps. Blocked calls go directly to your phone’s voicemail.
- The steps to block a call vary depending upon what handset and version of Android you are using, but in most cases you can block calls by tapping a number in your recent calls and looking for the “Block Call” command.
- Your cellular carrier may also offer the ability to block calls for you, though this might be a premium subscription service (depending on the carrier).
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
You don’t need to put up with the annoyance of regularly receiving unwanted phone calls.
If you frequently get a call from the same telemarketer or another unwanted caller, you can simply block that call.
When you do, all new calls from that number will go directly to voicemail.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $699.99 at Walmart)
How to block a number from the Phone app on most Android phones
The exact procedure to block calls may vary slightly from one Android smartphone to another, but most phones allow you to block a number directly from the Phone app with just a tap or two. Here is the general procedure:
1. Open the Phone app and view your recent calls.
2. Tap the phone number you want to block. You should see some options appear below the number or at the bottom of the screen.
3. Tap “More” or “Info,” designated by three vertical dots.
4. Choose the option to block the number, which may be labeled something like “Block” or “Block contact.”
How to block a number on Samsung phones
Because Samsung phones are so common, there’s a good chance that the device in your hand is a Galaxy phone. Here’s what this general process looks like on your phone:
1. Start the Phone app and then tap “Recents” at the bottom of the screen.
2. Tap the phone number you want to block and then tap “i” in the expanded options under the number.
3. At the bottom of the screen, tap “Block.”
How to block a number on other Android devices
The procedures above should work on most Android models, but the option to block calls might be located elsewhere on some versions of the Android OS. If the steps above don’t work for you – for example, if tapping the number simply dials it — try this instead:
1. Start the Phone app and view your recent calls.
2. Tap and hold the phone number you want to block. A drop-down menu may appear with additional options.
3. Tap “Block number” in the menu.
How to block a number using your cellular carrier
You have one other option available: Your service carrier may offer tools to help you block calls. The advantage of using your carrier is that a blocked number will remain blocked even if you change smartphones. The downside is that in some cases, this is an optional subscription service that may cost additional money.
If you want to investigate blocking callers at the carrier, here are links to the major carriers’ call blocking plans:
Insider Inc. receives a commission when you buy through our links.